Bell County Water Control and Improvement District No. 1 (the District) was created by the Texas Legislature in 1952 and began operating as a water and sewer utility district via customer contracts in 1956. A board was formed through the leadership of Roy J. Smith, a Killeen banker and businessman, to address the growing need for water and sewer services for Fort Hood and surrounding communities. Water is pumped from Lake Belton, treated at district facilities, and then pumped to customer water storage locations. The District is a wholesale entity whose customers include Killeen, Ft. Hood, Copperas Cove, Harker Heights, Belton, Nolanville, and 439 Water Supply Corporation. The customers distribute the water from their storage tanks to their retail residents and businesses. Conversely, on the wastewater side, the District receives flow from Ft. Hood and the City of Killeen into two district treatment facilities. In 2011 the District partnered with the City of Killeen as part of a green initiative to utilize brush and tree trimming waste to produce Class A compost. The Compost Facility, located at 12302 State Highway 195, is open to the public. Call 254-501-3206 or click here for information about purchasing product.
The District is governed by a five member Board of Directors. Directors are uncompensated. Board elections are held every even numbered year with either two or three seats up for election. Eligible Board candidates must own property in theDistrict Boundary. The Notice of Election is posted at the District Administrative office beginning in mid-December through the deadline in mid-February per Texas Election Code Section 141.040.